Monday, March 10, 2014

Atlas's First Month

Week 1: Atlas's weight going home- 6 lbs 12 oz. My weight going home- 161 lbs (final pregnancy weight was 172).
As soon as I got home from the hospital I was sick with a cold/allergies for a few days. As soon as I got over it, Weston got sick. Luckily, Atlas was stronger than both of us.
Had to wake up Atlas during the night so he would eat.
Got pee all over me because his diaper was too loose.
He seems like the perfect baby so far, hardly ever cries.
Heather and Darin came to visit! Heather cleaned, made the best curry, and took pictures for us.
Feeding is going well, we are working on getting a good latch every time.
Sponge baths are quick and easy.  
 

Week 2: Atlas weighs 7 lbs 12 oz at pediatrician visit. I weighed 157 lbs.
Something makes me cry at least once a day.
Circumcision done at exactly one week old- he handled it like a champ. Dad was in the room with him while mom was in another room (waiting and crying).
Atlas threw up 3 or 4 times this week because I have a lot of milk and it comes really fast. We took him to the doctor just to be sure, since he started throwing up after the circumcision, but the doctor reassured us that he's doing great, he just needs to slow down, eat less, and burp more.
We did a lot of laundry this week- milk vomit on everything!
Umbilical cord fell off at 10 days old.
Finally washed his hair, it's so soft! He was very calm and seemed to really enjoy it.
First visit to the temple for family pictures after Caitlin's wedding. Atlas did great (although he was a little unsure about the bright sunny weather) but I realized why I need to take a couple weeks for recovery. Just walking around and standing for pictures took a lot of effort.
First visit to Gma and Gpa Gardner's house to see the family for Sunday dinner.
Week 3: The circumcision ring fell off 10 days from the doctor visit.
Postpartum recovery for me isn't as bad as I'd thought, especially with the goodies from the hospital.  
Atlas only threw up once this week. He still goes crazy shaking his head back and forth while eating sometimes (which makes him seem like a little animal that is our pet instead of our baby), but he only eats between 4-9 minutes on each side and that seems to be enough. Sometimes he pulls off too quick and the milk just keeps spraying him in the face.
Now that everything fell off that needed to, Atlas got his first bath. He didn't cry once. He's such a good baby, so patient with his parents! He did, however, shower his mom with pee!
Second visit to Gardner family's house, but this time wasn't as fun because he needed to eat so often and then Weston sprained his ankle and was at the ER the whole time.
Week 4: I got a clogged milk duct... ouch! But with the combination of Atlas's good eating, massage, and heat I worked through it and thankfully it didn't turn into mastitis.
Atlas seems to have hit a growth spurt because he can barely make it an hour and a half between feedings sometimes. Give me a break kid! Although two nights this week he went 4 hours between feedings! He seems to recognize night from day.
Weston gave Atlas his first bottle (meaning I started pumping, just once a day to get used to it).
I saw little tears in Atlas's eyes as he cried when he woke up to eat! Melt my heart!
Went to Dr. Henderson for our one month checkup. Atlas is in the 50th percentile for height and weight (now weighing in at 9 lbs, 3 oz.) but his head is extra large! Let's hope that means he's a smarty pants. Dr. Henderson commented on what a good job he did with the circumcision and what a "handsome penis" Atlas has now. Love that he used the word handsome, LOL!
Another bath time and again he peed all over mom! Why do I keep forgetting that thing is locked and loaded?!
We made it a month! Sometimes I still forget that I'm a mom now and this baby isn't going anywhere. I'll look at him and think, whose baby is this and how long is he going to be in our house?! It's still so unreal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment